Re: [PORTS] Geometry test on NetBSD (was Re: RC1?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Henry B. Hotz
Subject Re: [PORTS] Geometry test on NetBSD (was Re: RC1?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 1:15 AM -0500 11/20/02, Tom Lane wrote:
>Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>>  Tom, can you clarify why -0 is valid.
>
>The IEEE spec absolutely thinks that -0 and +0 are distinct entities.
>I don't remember why, at one in the morning ... but if you insist I'm
>sure that plenty sufficient numerical-analysis reasons can be produced.
>The guys who wrote that spec knew what they were doing (that's why it's
>been adopted so universally).

It's so that 1/(1/-infinity) == -infinity.  There are probably other
reasons as well.

I'm just guessing here, but it's possible NetBSD acquired the bug by
trying to be functional on non-IEEE hardware.  I hope that whoever
found the problem (I don't see that in this thread) filed a bug
report with NetBSD.